Tunnel construction requires collaboration between many teams due its complexity. Projects usually require the input of geologists, specialists for earthworks, foundation and ground engineering and road construction, structural engineers, concrete technologists as well as planners for transport and operational safety.
Among this group of specialists, we have gained an international reputation as a reliable partner, supporting our customers with high-quality formwork and scaffolding systems and providing expert advice when required.
Tunnel cross-sections and lengths should be the main consideration when deciding which construction method and supporting framework to use.
In addition to this, there are object-related curves and inclinations along the tunnel as well as varying geometries in width and height that have to be considered. Variations in the standard cross-section are necessary for the purpose of park and emergency stop bays, escape and access galleries or for constructions that link adjacent tunnel tubes with another.
Our approach to tunnel construction supports the four methods below:
Cross-sections can be rectangular, round, elliptical or a designed according to special requirements. A simple rectangular cross-section is the most cost-effective manufacturing option. However, depending on the framework conditions, circular, elliptical or special cross-sections can offer specific advantages.
Regardless of the construction method, a number of different supporting frameworks can be used depending on the cross-section, geological conditions and the future use of the tunnel. Each tunnel framework can be single-cell or multi-cell.
As with regular high-rises, the floor, walls and slab of the tunnel cross-section are produced independently.
Walls and slab are concreted in one pour. Their production takes place with two separately moving, structurally autonomous formwork carriages.
Floor and walls are concreted in one pour. Because of its absolute water-tightness, this construction method is mainly used in groundwater areas.
Floor, walls and slab are concreted in one pour. Due to the minimum amount of joints, high water-tightness of the whole tunnel cross-section is achieved.
Tunnel is built underground. The excavation for the circular or oval cross-sections is done either by blasting or with tunnel drilling machines.
Construction with minimum traffic disruptions. With this construction method, excavation only reaches up to the bottom edge of the future tunnel slab.
Necessary changes of the standard cross-section due to parking and emergency stop bays, escape and access galleries, etc.
Transitional structures link above-ground traffic routes with the underground routing.
Half-open tunnels with single-sided or overhead light. Galleries can be independent structures or longer transitional structures.
Construction-related measures for the maintenance, partial renewal or modification of existing tunnel structures.
We provide products and services for every phase, from construction to maintenance to tunnel refurbishments and repair, helping you deliver your project from planning to completion as efficiently as possible.
The VARIOKIT engineering construction kit can be used without any limitations in tunnel and bridge construction and civil engineering. This essential customer benefits are the result of high-degree standardisation and the possibility to combine the system components, which are based on just three core elements:
This means that the VARIOKIT engineering construction kit consists of about 80% standard components and only the remaining 20% are object-specific, adjusted special parts. On top of this, the possibility to rent the PERI standard components reduces the rate of tied-up investment capital.
Our products have been used on a variety of tunnel projects all over the world. Below are some examples from PERI UK.
From innovative moving scaffold systems and bespoke plywood panels to 3D drawings and digital engineering software, we can provide the products and services you need to complete your project.
All topics mentioned above are explored in more detail in our Tunnel Formwork Technology manual. In addition to explaining specific tunnel construction methods in detail, the manual also refers to many successful projects that we have worked on and provides commentary about how we met the customer's requirements.
160 pages of valuable expert knowledge.